Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to make Bias/Binding Tape

So before I begin I highly recommend every crafter, sewer, creative person to pick up a Bias Tape Maker.  I absolutely love this tool it saves so much time and is really quick and easy to use. I have them in a variety of sizes but they all work the same...amazing.

For this tutorial, you will need a Bias Tape Maker, Iron, and Fabric.

So first select a bias tape maker. I am using  a 1 inch maker. 
Using your fabric of choice on the bias (diagonal on the grain) cut strips of fabric to the width noted on the packaging of your maker. Because I am using a 1 inch bias maker, I needed to cut  a 1 3/4 inch wide strip of fabric.


Before I begin I like to cut the corners at the begining of the fabric to create a "V" shape.

Place the strip face down.
Now insert the "V" into the "U" shaped slot on the larger side of the maker.Pull the tip of the "V" out of the small side and as you pulled the tip of the V, the sides will automatically fold over.
This will create the first folds in the bias tape.

As you pull the tape through follow with an iron pressing the folds flat.

This is what the tape should look like after being pulled through the bias maker and pressed.

From here, you no longer need the maker just your iron.
Where the raw edges meet, in the center of the strip, fold over.


Press to hold the fold and keep the crease.


And there you go, Bias Tape!


If you have any questions feel free to ask, If any thing is unclear, just let me know. Thanks for looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment